- Cambridge Overseas School Leaving Certificate Grade A (Malawi 1956)
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) Degree (With Honours), University of Delhi, India (1961).
- Master’s (M.A.) Degree in Economics, University of Delhi, India, (1963).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degree in Development Economics, Pacific Western University, Los Angeles, USA (1984).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degree (Honoris Causa), Strathclyde University, Scotland, 2005.
PROFESSIONAL AND MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Government of Malawi (1963-1964), Ministry of Finance (Administrative Officer)
- Government of Zambia (1965-1966) Ministry of Finance (Principal Administrative Officer).
- United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (1966-1975): Chief, Africa Trade Centre; Head Africa-EEC Relations Unit.
- The World Bank (1975-1978): Secretary’s Department; Loan Officer (Kenya and Tanzania).
- United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (1978-1990): Chief, Transnational Corporations Unit; and Director, for Trade and Finance Division.
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA). (1991-1997) - Secretary General.
- Reserve Bank of Malawi (2001-2003): Deputy Governor.
- Government of Malawi (2003-2004): Senior Minister of Economic Planning and Development.
- Bineth Trust, (Founder and Chairman)
- Bingu Silvergrey Foundation for the Elderly, (Founder and Chairman)
- University of Southern Malawi (Founder and Chairman)
- Towards Multinational Economic Co-operation in Africa, (Praeger Publishers, New York 1972).
- One Africa One Destiny - Towards Democracy, Good Governance and Development (SAPES Trust, Zimbabwe, 1995).
- Mabizinesi Aphindu: Mayendetsedwe Abwino Amakono (in Vernacular languages 2004).
- One Africa One Destiny - Africa’s Response to Globalization (Forthcoming 2006).
He has also written over two dozen articles on Development Economics, Monetary Policy, Trade Co-operation and Regional Integration in leading international journals.
A distinguished International Economist and Diplomat with extensive high level professional and management experience.
He was born in Malawi on 24 February 1934 at Kamoto Village, Traditional Authority Chimaliro in Thyolo District of Malawi; he is a devout Catholic Christian; recently widowed and have four children and seven grandchildren; and he likes writing, swimming and fishing.
Source: University Programs and Events Planning Resources, September 2007